Wednesday 2 November 2016

The Secrets of Bath.

I visited Bath for an event last week and am still buzzing from what I discovered there. Unfortunately I am sworn to secrecy about the event itself and so I will discuss the town. The town is a place of secrets too.


Bath is beautiful and it knows it. It is a tourist town and an expensive place to stay if one cannot find a hostel. I would guess that women 'get it' better than men.
A photo posted by Richard Ford (@richard.ford) on

The first photograph is a view across open countryside where I noticed that all the churches were arranged in an exact line for as far as the eye could see. The area is known for its leylines and each church was built on a former place of power to Christianize it. Now, as the power of the church declines they act as signposts to a previous age. Magical symbolism, much of it lost, also permeates the architecture.
We never find great beauty without a belief in something transcendent. This has been my experience anyway. 
The main attractions are Jane Austin (a local girl), the Roman Baths and cream tea everywhere we look. It is just a nice place to wander around too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate the comments for spam but welcome contrary views.